History & Pronouncing Buena Vista:
1879 – The town's name has been pronounced "BEW-na Vista" instead of the Spanish "BWAY-na Vista" ever since it was founded. It all came about at a meeting in 1879, when residents and property owners in the area at the convergence of Cottonwood Creek and the Arkansas River held a meeting to create a formal community. They had been told that would help attract a railroad line (eventually it attracted three). Two names were proposed by attendees: Collegiate Peaks, and Buena Vista, which means "good view" in Spanish, certainly an appropriate description. Alsina Dearheimer, a resident and property owner who suggested the name Buena Vista, certainly knew how the Spanish words were pronounced, her first husband having been a language and music professor. But, she insisted that the pronunciation for the town name be Americanized into "BEW-na", borrowing the first syllable of the English word "beautiful".
1880 - 1885 – Three railroads reached the town: the Denver, South Park & Pacific; the Denver & Rio Grande; the Midland. The Denver, South Park & Pacific Depot has been restored and moved to McPhelemy Park in the center of town and can be explored by visitors Memorial Day through September.
Come and visit the Ghost Towns of St. Elmo, Vicksburg, and Winfield. For more information, visit BuenaVistaColorado.org or call (719) 395-6612.